Saturday, December 15, 2012

Glad to have public transportation

When I was looking to buy a house, one necessary factor was that it needed to be within a few miles of bus and/ or subway. I wanted to continue to stay car-free, and having access to public transportation is a key element. The house I ended up choosing had a bus stop right on the corner of the property, which can take me to the subway station located less than a mile away. :). Can't beat that!! At the end of November, when biking to work, the driver of a large pick-up truck hit me from behind. :( My right arm was broken when I fell. I will have to rely on 4 wheels now instead of my trusty steed...so I am very thankful to have easy access to public transportation so that I can get to doctor appointments, physical therapy and also to get to work, whenever I go back...as the subway has stations near each of these destinations.

3 comments:

Rootchopper said...

Hit from behind? Darn good thing you have that bus stop. Get better.

FlyingYeti said...

I am sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you get well very soon.

She Rides a Bike said...

Sorry to read about your accident! Glad your injuries were not more serious.

My husband and I moved to Phoenix over the summer as I was starting school at ASU and he found a new job down here. When we went looking for a place to live, we had little time but were determined to find a place to rent in Central Phoenix so that we could take advantage of light rail and public transit. Of course, we also wanted to live within easy proximity to school and places to eat and shop. Bike friendliness was essential - and this in a city that has been, up until recently, entirely autocentric.

We immediately found a little house to rent in an affordable historic neighborhood close to downtown and just a few short blocks for the rail. We hope to buy a house here in the next year.

Of course, a few of our family members insist that since we now live in a large city I need to have a car. I don't understand why the insistance, though. Often, I need to drive no more than a couple of times a month. There is just not that much that I need that is outside of Central Phoenix. I've found that I can get to the nearest mall (if I really need to go) just fine on the bus. I don't want to go back to the expense of having to maintain an extra car. Frankly, if we could go completely car-free we would, but at the moment, my husband's job does not allow for that, but it remains a long-term goal.